i was just wrapping up my journal writing for the year, and i reread last year's words. it's no secret that 2010 was a crappy year for me. i was waxing about how the pendulum seems to swing between good years and bad years. in short, i finished last year with one request... for the pendulum to swing back. well, 2011 was better. so much better. but, i've gotta tell you. the pendulum didn't merely swing back as much as i PUSHED it back with every fiber of my being. and i honestly didn't mind the hard work1
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? ran SEVEN races!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? i don't know that i planned to make a resolution for 2011. but on the night of January 1st, in response to a tweet from a stranger, i peeled myself off of the sofa, where i had been lounging in pajamas all day, got on the scale and had a mini meltdown. on January 2nd, i downloaded The 30 Day Shred, and I honestly never looked back. I was having the resolution conversation with a friend earlier, and it occurred to me that, for the first time in my adult life, i merely have to "continue" doing the good things i started doing this past year. and that, my friends, feels very, VERY good!!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? my niece, Danielle, was born in March
4. Did anyone close to you die? my grandfather, Pop-Pop
5. What countries did you visit? can i just rewrite this question?!? let's talk about the fun places i went in THIS country: Asheville, D.C., Charlottesville, Orlando, Philly and New York were the highlights.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? the courage to make the really big changes
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? December 31st, when i walked out my front door and ran 10 miles. i will remember this because of the really bad sports bra rash ;)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? running. losing weight. blogging every day of September. changing my life.
9. What was your biggest failure? missing the wedding of a great friend. and neglecting my blog every month but September.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? no!
11. What was the best thing you bought? the iPad
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? is it okay to say mine?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? any adult who ever took advantage of a child in their care
14. Where did most of your money go? new running shoes (two pairs!), race entry fees, our trip to NY
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? i got really, really, really excited about getting "fitted" for running shoes.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? Beautiful Trash (Lanu), Closer to the Edge (30 Seconds to Mars), Kiss Me Slowly (Parachute), Lost in You (Three Days Grace), New York Groove (Ace Frehley), Whenever (BEP)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer? Happier, thinner, richer. it feels incredibly good to be able to say this!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveled
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Complained
20. Did you fall in love in 2011? Yes
21. What was your favorite TV program? Parenthood. Please pass the tissues.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? i liked someone less
23. What was the best book you read? Born to Run
24. What was your greatest musical discovery? Anything from Australia, thanks to a new friend!
25. What did you want and get? great running shoes, a new 10 year journal
26. What did you want and not get? i am lucky to be able to say "nothing"
27. What was your favorite film of this year? The Muppet Movie
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? i turned 42 in my hometown of Greenport, NY with some of my oldest and dearest friends
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? meeting my friends who live in my phone
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Old Navy
31. What kept you sane? running. counting calories. working out. texting.
i really have no complaints about 2011. i feel good! i look good! i am surrounding myself with good people. the possibilities for 2012 are endless, and i can't wait for all the good to continue. i hope the same for each and everyone of you!