i haven't taken a lot of photos lately. and when i snapped a few tonight, i was immediately struck by the "oldness" of this picture. my eight-year-old-boy, all at once a young man.
taking a cue from my "not blogging for Lent" friend, natasha, i want to list 8 things about jack:
1) on the way to school this morning, jack said, "i don't even know why i'm sitting in this seat." i had forgotten that NC law for booster seats is 8 years old or 80 pounds. we reached 8 well before we will reach 80! when i picked him up from school, i had discretely tucked the booster seat into the back of the car.
2) jack is in the 2nd grade, and started public school this year. he has transitioned very well, and excels in reading (on a 3rd grade level) and math (when he wants to!!)
3) jack played soccer for the first time last fall, and is a natural. i am already planning/hoping/praying for a soccer scholarship to college!
4) jack is a Wolf Scout and loves camping.
5) he is an acolyte at church (Episcopal) and his most important job is holding the Gospel steady while elderly priests attempt to read from it!
6) jack is the oldest cousin (by 4 years) and is finding his way as the leader of the pack
7) he is the most sensitive child i know, and is very protective of my feelings (most of the time...) when i have to travel, he begins missing me the first time i mention the trip.
8) jack got a dog for his birthday. (if you know me AT ALL, you will know that this is a HUGE deal.) "Spider Dog" has been with us for three days now, and by all accounts (jack's), his life is now complete!
happy birthday, jonathan tucker erickson!
i love you!!
i love you!!