Monday, April 02, 2007

the other day, i met a bear...


so, i registered jack for summer camp today. i am so excited for him!! i am a dyed-in-the-wool camper, from girl scout & boy scout camping (dad was a scoutmaster for 15 years), to the music camp i attended for 6 years, to the parks & rec day camp i ran the summer i graduated from college... there's just something FUN about camp!!

i'm the first to admit that maybe i liked camp *just a little* too much. i loved packing for camp, and the smell of "laundry pens." i was somehow a cooler kid at camp. letters from my camp friends often got me through a long, hard, teenage winter at home! i loved being outside all the time. i loved reveille and taps and everything in between.

i used to keep a large calendar on my wall and mark off the days until camp with big black x's. registering for camp meant school was coming to a close, and the endless summer days were drawing closer.

so, jack's days will be filled with swimming lessons and arts & crafts and outside time. he will come home each evening smelling of sunscreen and bugspray with stories to tell and bags under his eyes. i'm a teeny bit jealous!

did you go to camp?

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh yes I did go to camp! You are right, good times. I loved all your descriptions. A little leather craft, a little fireside singing, ghost stories, they need a camp for Moms!

Jill said...

I only ever went to Girl's Camp with our church. It was 4 days every summer between the ages of 12-17. That's about the extent of my camping experience, but it was fun.

carlo said...

can we still be friends if i tell you that i am not a camper? (gasp)
please????

cass and i did a "mom and me" weekend girl scout camp 2 yrs ago. latrine, platform tents and the whole outdoorsy deal. i loved the crafts and singing and making potlatchs and screenprinting. it was fun to be with cass but i am a city girl and i love my noise and AC.

the following summer we went to american girl place for our own mom and me weekend in chicago and stayed at the wyndham. much more my style.

can we still be friends? :)

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on this one! I love camping and have so many good memories of summer camps. I wasn't as 'into it' as you were as far as going back to be a camp leader, but I loved all the friends I made and keeping in touch after camp was over. Your boy is going to have a great summer!

Elizabeth said...

I would love a camp for moms!
I went to a one week girls camp for church every year when I was 12-18. SOme of the best times I ever had.

michelle said...

The only camp I ever went to was Girl's Camp. I think I went twice as a teenager and I've been twice as a leader. I'd be fine if that was it, I'm so not a camper.

amy gretchen said...

I always dreamed of going to a camp like in the movies. I can't decided if I'm jealous of him for getting to go or you for all the free time.

Amy said...

You are totally cracking me up. I can camp with showers and toilets... those are the must's. I'm actually going to Girl's Camp this year with the girls in my church. I'm honestly excited because it truly does bond and ensure strong friendships.

SHERI said...

I went to girls camp every year - and grew up going camping with the family all the time. My husband grew up the same way so we are still campers. I am the ward camp director this year so I am planning camp for the first time. If you have any great suggestions I would love to hear them.

Barb said...

My kids have all done day camps in the summer, but only my oldest has gone on an over night camp. I'm with you on the camp thing. It really is nice to have friends away from hometown friends to fall back on when you need it as a teenager.