completing jane's challenge today definitely had me tripping down memory lane. there are probably items on this list that i have done, but i'm not remembering (or have blocked out!) at any rate, i'm going to break this list down into smaller bits, and try to do a little more journaling. this is for the sake of my own failing memory, people, but feel free to come along for the ride!!
1. Touched an iceberg
2. Slept under the stars - i went to a summer camp for musicians for four years, then back as a counselor for two. northeast music camp was located in the BEAUTIFUL berkshire mountains, in a town called ware, ma. (where?!?) as counselors, we took the liberty of sleeping outside on the four square court every once in a while (a *luxury* we were never permitted as campers!)
3. Been a part of a hockey fight - i've watched plenty, though
4. Changed a baby's diaper
5. Watched a meteor shower - i've seen several, but the most memorable was in the summer of '93 (?) my roommate and i lived in roswell, GA, and spent the evening sitting on the tennis courts with two young men we were, ah, fond of. it really was the most amazing meteor shower. odd: i remember the meteors, but not the men!
6. Given more than you can afford to charity - at this time in our life, every bit we give to charity feels like more than we can afford. even though it's hard, it helps remind me that there are so many for whom it is much tougher.
7. Swam with wild dolphins
8. Climbed a mountain - climbed a few growing up with my father's boy scout troup. the last mountain i *climbed* was Stone Mountain, GA before the laser show. or maybe it was Brasstown Bald with my Recreation Management class during grad school.
9. Held a tarantula (and not bloody likely too, either!)
10. Said "I love you" and meant it - it was very hard for me to say this to matty the first time (the first, and only, man i've ever said it to).
11. Bungee jumped - i don't really fear the bungee part. it's the stepping off of the little platform that would do me in!
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea - i have spent more than 1/2 of my life living on the coast. there is nothing more awe-inspiring than watching nature's fury over the sea (from the safety of shore, that is).
14. Stayed up all night long and watched the sun rise - i pulled one *official* all nighter during my freshman year of college. i remember being so relieved that the sun was finally up and i could go to sleep! i might have managed this one other time in my life, but now i relish my sleeping hours too much to give them up!
15. Seen the Northern Lights - oh, how i wish
16. Gone to a huge sports game - Falcons vs. Chargers. many years ago. countless Braves games during the wonder years of '91 and '92
17. Walked the stairs to the top of the Statue of Liberty - my sister and i spent a week in manhattan with good friends when we were maybe junior high age. i am so thrilled we got to walk to the top of the statue of liberty (and visit the *just built* twin towers.
18. Grown and eaten your own vegetables - my father cultivated huge vegetable gardens. i have not been very successful practicing what he taught us.
19. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope
20. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
- is there ever a *best* possible moment??? i have distinct memories of this happening during a marching band practice and also during church ("consider the lilies...")
i'll tackle another 20 at another time. have you done your list yet?