Friday, August 07, 2009

photoless phriday - the missing in action edition

we have a show opening tonight. the past few weeks have been filled with "show stuff." if you've ever been in a show... well, then, you know exactly what that means. for those who are interested, we are doing The Music Man this summer ("he's a Muuuusic Man. A What? A What? a Muuuuusic Man.") i made the wise decision early on to contribute my talents OFF stage this summer, so you will find me in the pit orchestra playing the clarinet, and getting approximately 12 out of every 16 notes correct. professor harold hill's "think system" in full effect!!

this summer is seriously kicking my butt. the hotel has been busy (thank goodness, in this economy). every summer, i suffer a severe bout of malaise. rereading the past few summers' worth of journal entries, i remembered that i actually named this malaise a few years ago. it's called "july at the hotel." go figure...

i feel old. O.L.D. i don't think it really has anything to do with my 40th birthday (which is now only 3 1/2 months away. a-hem.) it has more to do with working ungodly hours, fitting in a meal between camp carpool and play practice (thank goodness for the crock pot), coming home and falling into bed without accomplishing any exercise whatsoever. (well, except for the running-around-like-a-chicken-with-my-head-cut-off routine...)

i stayed home with jack and his stomach bug yesterday. (he is fine, thank you. a little Music Man malaise, i believe...) i never even turned on my computer. i partook in some tepid mobile facebooking and CNN reading, but that was the extent of my communications with the outside world. it was kind of nice, actually. but it's left me feeling a little lost today.

so, i have a few hours left before the opening curtain. i believe i will spend some of that time trying to find myself. have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you're participating in the musical even though you're so busy with everything else. I didn't know you played the Clarinet, apparently you're loaded with talents!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh good luck, Lelly, good luck. You pack a big punch.

Rebekah said...

"She made brazen overtures to a man who never had a friend in this town 'til SHE came he-are!"


"Will you please make your selection and leave?"

"I already have."

"What would you like to take out?"

"THE LIBRARIAN."

"Shh."

"*the librarian*."


And I used to play the clarinet, Lelly. We are like ebony and ivory.

April said...

I so enjoyed this little window into your life..I've missed you.

Unknown said...

BRAZEN OVERTURES!

michelle said...

July at the hotel, eh? Well, I'm intrigued.

Fun dialogue in your comments here -- break a leg!

Amanda :-) said...

I misread that line as 'thank goodness for the crackpot' - and thought you were referring to yourself as some kind of lunatic! Haha! Was I misreading MUCH?!

I know how frustrated you must feel turning 40 and still feeling like you're spinning plates. When we were all 16 we must've assumed that we'd be all sorted and kool-and-the-gang by 40, mustn't we? But it's all a myth, babe. None of us knows what we're doing. *taps nose knowingly* I know, you know.