Friday, September 16, 2011

five minute friday



i've got to tell you something. i hope it's not too startling.

i don't have a bucket list.

nope. no checklist of things i need to accomplish. no tick marks next to things i've done. no master plan for fitting it all in (no idea, really, what "it" really is).

surprising? i am a pretty steadfast maker of lists: shopping lists, to-do lists, review lists, packing lists... i'm sort of addicted to them, truth be told. but the quintessential bucket list has eluded me thus far.

i'm seeing "bucket lists" everywhere these days. it's back to school time: here are 10 MUST TAKE PHOTO-OPS for your child! it's Autumn: here are 15 Fall activities you don't want to miss! traveling: here are 5 destination you must see! you just had a baby: here are 10 pictures you MUST take on baby's first day!

really? REALLY??

i am all for living, and creating traditions, and recording memories. but at what point does the bucket list become less a "list" and more of a "script?" i'll tell you when. right about the time i start to hyperventilate because there are no apple orchards around here for me to schedule a mid-Autumn photo shoot.

4 comments:

John said...

I'm right there with you, Lelly - there are the things that I'd love to do . . . . but if I ever "must do something," why the hell don't I get off my ass & do it now?

Although, I did appreciate the "kiss the most beautiful girl in the world" part of the movie.

Marie said...

Oooh... very good. It is easy to get caught up in the 'supposed to do' lists and feel like you are actually supposed to do them. It can be hard to resist. Good on ya!

MoonGoddess said...

Bucket List are depressing.

I never want to feel like I'm on some DEADline... but I do have a "life list". Basically I set up a list at Superviva.com to jot down all those things I think of I would one day like to do. But I don't feel any NEED to do them all.

I think if it helped you to have fun, go for it.

....now where is that pile of leaves to take a photo in by the end of this weekend! (Joking!)

michelle said...

I don't have a bucket list, either. Marc recently decided to have an after-the-fact bucket list. So he is thinking up great/fun/unusual things he has done and mentally checking them off. So funny.

Your last paragraph cracked me up.