Tuesday, March 27, 2007

spt - spring fever

my fondest spring memories involve the flowering of the land: the bulbs whose colorful bonnets peek out of thawing ground; the bushes that explode into vibrant colors bedecking well-traveled roads still dripping with thawing snow and early showers; the whisper thin layer of golden green pollen that blankets everything and tickles my throat!

in new york, spring ment daffodils, and lilac bushes. tender bouquets of lilacs carefully clipped in the pre-dawn, wrapped in wet paper towels and tinfoil, their heady scent intoxicating still to this day.

in maryland, it was the fruit trees. entire communities outlined with tender white bartlett pears and water-color pink cherry trees, literally humming with thousands of bees frantic with their labor.

in georgia, my spring memories are entirely smothered in pine pollen. we would spend weeks hosing off our cars, our decks, our feet as we traipsed throughout the blossoming yards. the fine dust would find its way into every crevice, and we inevitably would find ourselves closed up in our houses with air conditioners full-blast, just to find a little relief from the sneezing, the itching, the watering!

in north carolina, it is the azaleas. wild and full of brambles, or carefully arranged and trimmed, highlighting designer golf courses and squishy marshland alike. sadly, they don't have a fragrance, but their colors are vibrant and muted all at once, twenty-seven shades of pinkish orangish whitish paper-thin leaves.

entire festivals are devoted to these harbingers of spring. i feel festive today as i hastily snap a photo. spring has been teasing us here for a few weeks, but today, the azaleas are blooming, and i will remember to enjoy them!

27 comments:

Anne said...

What great imagery your spring memories provide! Those azaleas are beautiful! I love rich pinks such as those in your photo!

carlo said...

love your descriptions and your pic. spring has sprung

jenny said...

Wow! You have lived in quite a few places. Those azaleas are beautiful. So bright and cheery!

Allison said...

You have lived in some amazing places. Your flowers are beautiful!

Kelly said...

"Flowering of the land", Love it!

Mandy said...

I loved reading about each place you have lived and how the springs affected you each time.

Great picture. Love the flowers.

SHERI said...

Just wanted to say that I have joined your SPT! Love your creative spirit. I do love your flowers!

Kari said...

What a beautiful shot!!!
This was a great challenge, even though I didn't get myself in any of the shots.

Angie said...

Fun to remember the places you have and how spring was there. I love azaleas, but widh they had a smell. My parents have amny of these planted in front of their home and throughout their yard. Great shot.

Buffy said...

What descriptions of some beautiful sceneries. You have lived many places. Sounds gorgeous!

Jill said...

As I read your descriptions of all those places I wanted to see pictures. You did a great job describing them though, so my mental images will have to satisfy me.

Cute picture of you!

Barb said...

I have a friend who moved to North Carolina a couple of years ago. She moved out on a job transfer, and when she talked to other people who had made the same transfer with the same company one woman told her: "You'll love living in North Carolina. It's like living in an Easter Basket with flowers from the tops of the trees down to under your feet." The azaleas are beautiful.

michelle said...

I love azaleas! We don't have those here. Your descriptions of spring are beautiful. Lilacs are intoxicating, and I can't wait for mine to bloom!

Jessica said...

Wow!!! How cool to have lived in so many places! Just Michigan for me.......!! :) Happy SPT Day!

Kelly said...

Your words today are just as much of a portrait as your picture -- beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

I loved how you described spring in all the places you live4d. It makes me want to visit all of them. Great shot!

Missy said...

Hi! Great topic! My camera is mis-behaving... totally operator error. I was adjusting the shutter speed and some other settings and now it isn't totally cooperative! I will be back in the action soon, though, if I have to use a disposable camera and my scanner!! :)
Missy

Lucy said...

I've never lived in any of those places but can relate to the fragrant lilacs. We have a lilac festival here and the short while they are in bloom everywhere brings me a lot of happiness.

I loved your descriptions. They could have been in a gardening magazine!

Amy said...

I LOVE AZALEAS..the true & lasting kind of love. And I'm so jealous of your proximity to such. You wrote this so beautifully, Lelly. Thank you for the flowering of your words and reminders of the beauty that is spring all over.

Amanda :-) said...

My neighbour has some stunning azaleas that I eye with some envy. Hers are very mature, hence their absolute 'stunningness'!

I love the way you've actually noticed how different places signify spring in different ways. I'd never thought of it like that before.

Nice specs!

melanie said...

Oh I LOVE azaleas too! The pink is so bright and cheery. I love all the places you have lived, fruit tree blossoms tend to be one of my favorites.

Your picture is adorable!

Michelle Alley said...

Great photos and loved the way you described each place you've lived(been) and it's spring. Thanks for all your challenges - its great fun!

Jenny Dahl said...

What picturesque memories you have. You could talk anyone into loving the spring!

andrea said...

I absolutely love azaleas. They are one of my favorite parts of spring.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had some lilacs here at my house- love those. All your descriptions are fantastic- makes me feel like I am there. How cool to experience spring in so many places.

Laurie said...

What neat places to live, and to have such clear spring memories/appreciation of each place. I love that.

annalisa said...

I love waiting for the first flowers to start their blooming.