Tuesday, March 13, 2007

what's in a name?

i am amazed how many people are joining this project every week. welcome!! i have literally spent all day soaking up info from so many great blogs. i have a recap in progress, but will hold off until tomorrow to post (hoping in include some last minute posters out there!!)

so, now i've introduced you to my hometown: southport, north carolina.

in north carolina, we only have rear tags on our cars. that leaves the front bumper wide open for all manner of creative license plates. there are your university alum plates, your endangered species plates, your patriotic plates, your air-brushed personalized plates, your parrothead plates... i could go on.

my favorite front bumper plate is a design that has become very popular here over the past five years or so (and maybe where you live?) it's the euro-style, oval plate, which features a 2 or 3 letter abbreviation for your town/country, etc. (GB for Great Britain, OBX for the Outer Banks, etc.)

the abbreviation for SouthPorT is SPT. i see these letters everywhere throughout my day. and it finally clicked one day last week, as i was reading comments - several people were abbreviating self-portrait tuesday as spt. (i think i first noticed it in a comment from amy m.) it has sort of stuck. and while i originally thought i would get all crazy renaming this thing, spt sort of feels right.

there are self-portrait tuesdays and self-portrait challenges all over the blogosphere. i hope that what we are doing here is experiencing the fun of the challenge in a safe, supportive, creative community - this group of women who truly inspire me every week. as chad from alltel would say, you're all in *my circle.*

so, spt it is (for me.) you might think of it as "self-portrait tuesday," or "self-purpose tuesday," or "she photographs on tuesdays," or "shoot pictures on tuesdays..." seeing these license plates around town will make me smile even wider now.

14 comments:

Amy said...

SPT it is. Self-purpose, Self-portrait, She photographs...I love it all. Thank you for paradoxically pulling this circle both closer and larger.

Elizabeth said...

It is simple and perfect!

carlo said...

love it!

Jill said...

Great idea! I'm going to think of it as self-purpose Tuesday!

Megan said...

Thanks for introducing this world to your fellow bloggers. I've had a lot of fun doing portraits, and I hate pictures of myself! So this is probably a good thing, it's promoting self-love everywhere.

Crystalyn said...

love it lelly! this is so fun. thanks for putting this together for us this week!

everything pink! said...

i will choose, She Potographs on Tuesdays!

ok so when are you making the t-shirts that we can buy?
and don't think i am kidding!!

Natasha said...

Yes, Yes, I want to buy a SPT t-shirt!

jenny said...

What a great little logo. Very cool Lelly :)

Barb said...

SPT - perfect. I now have more pictures of me in one month than I had in the whole last year. Amazing.

amy gretchen said...

It's interesting that SPT has meant something different to you as it has always mean self-portrait tuesday to me. I love thinking when you see those signs you will always think of "your circle". I'm so glad you've started these challenges and can't wait until next week.

Kelly said...

Thanks for starting this circle. So much fun! I had a busy out and about day, and could not wait to get back home to check everyone's portraits. It's certainly a fun highlight of the week!

carlo said...

count me in on the t-shirt! :)

Amanda :-) said...

That's so interesting about the front number plates! Hmmm... how odd.

SPT. Well, that's just destiny, isn't it?!