Saturday, December 08, 2007

spt - it's ornamental



when i married (or moved into my first place, can't quite remember the event), my parents presented me with a plastic box full of my childhood ornaments. it is a very special box, with ornaments dating back to my very first Christmas, 1969.

each year, and as the family grew, my father would present each member of the family with an ornament of the year. sometimes they were handmade (who doesn't love a dad who can cross-stitch?!?), sometimes they were bought overseas, sometimes they were too fragile for our little fingers, sometimes they simply went with a theme (snowmen, angels, santas... there's some "holly hobby" in there, too).

so when i got my box, it was full of memories, and there were plenty of ornaments to decorate my first *grown-up* tree. i have brought this tradition into my home, and now i take on the awesome responsibility of choosing the ornaments each year. i take my job very seriously. i can't wait to show you what i picked for this year!

do you have an ornament tradition? how about a favorite ornament? for this challenge, focus on the ornaments that actually hang on your tree, on how much joy can be found in something small.


for the records, this ornament is on the tree at work. where i have been for the past twelve days. which would explain why i need to focus on my ornaments at home - as in, getting them put up on a tree. soon!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Wee! I love ornaments. You know I am a SPT drop out, but I bet I could do this one. We are decorating our tree tomorrow so I'll have to give this some thought.

jenny said...

I too LOVE ornaments. This is right up my alley. Yay! How was the trip?

Rachel said...

fun, fun! :)

Kelly said...

Except for the cross-stitching Dad, I had exactly the same ornament experience -- right down to Holly Hobby. This will be fun!

Amanda :-) said...

Yipes, I'd have to be quite clever to do this today, as all our Christmas things are still in boxes in the loft! Argh.

~~~KELLY KELLY KELLY ~~~
I've tried emailing you two or three times to send you the templates you asked for, but they keep bouncing back to me. Can you mail me so that I can see your proper email address? I can't figure out why I can't get these things through to you. :-/

amhill1@talktalk.net

(Sorry, Lelly, for pushing that in there!)

michelle said...

What a great tradition. I have been buying ornaments for my kids each year, but nothing too fraught with meaning, just whatever catches my fancy. The boys have a tree in their bedroom and far too many ornaments to put everything on in one year.

I don't have anything from my childhood and therefore, while I enjoy my ornaments, they don't hold a lot of sentimental value to me.