Friday, November 09, 2007

spt - 3...2...1...



ahh, do you hear it? see it? smell it? those first hints of the holiday season to come...

you won't be surprised to know that i (of *pumpkin-spice-candle-day* and *orange-shirt-month* fame) have some pretty strong holiday practices: i love Christmas music, but can't listen to it before december first; i have never put up a Christmas tree on Thanksgiving Day; despite the best-laid plans, i rarely get my cards out before the week of Christmas. i have definitely made a concious effort over the past few years to simplify our holidays so that we get more out of them.

i invite you to visit my archives for a daily walk through last december. i adopted an idea from loobylu (oh, i miss you, loobylu) for a daily acitivity for each day of Advent.

the inspiration piece:


and mine:



our daily activities were a huge part of our holiday season. as you read through the posts, though, you will see we lost a little steam as we got closer to Christmas. so i'm tweaking a little bit for this year. this was a great project for our family, but it does involve a little advance preparation.

so this week's spt challenge is to take a few moments and focus on that special holiday *thing* that you are planning for this year. we are less than two weeks away from Thanksgiving. don't sacrifice your vision of a perfect holiday season by running out of time! give yourself permission to get prepared, and don't forget to snap a photo of you in that moment!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the motivation to get started early.

Amy said...

Oh Lelly..thanks for not just being the SPT queen, but an inspiration as well.

carlo said...

oh you are the best! i have been in the holiday spirit since the wind started blowing and the chilly mornings/evenings have started...

i will admit that i listen to christmas music most anytime of the year when i am crafting for the holidays. even mid-summer as we did a "test run" of the gifts our girls would make for grandparents/aunts and so on. we love it.

ps- i have been known to watch my secret boyfriend anytime of year if i need a dose of happy...(will f. aka elf, of course)

so i must ask. do you continue with pumpkin through christmas or do you have a special scent for december????

Jill said...

I'm going to have to have a meeting with myself to figure out what I want to do and how I want this year's holidays to go.

Barb said...

I do the daily activity advent with my family. I like that it brings us together, but it doesn't exactly simplify . . .

Marie said...

I do a daily advent too, but I don't have it in a cute jar. I actually don't have any advent calender. I write my activites on paper and put them in numbered envelopes that the kids open up. I don't love this, but I hadn't seen an advent calender I liked yet and don't want to just buy one just to have one. Yours is a cute idea. I'll see if I can find a cute jar.

donna said...

I am thinking!!!!!