Friday, November 02, 2007

spt - election day



If liberty and equality, as is thought by some are chiefly to be found in democracy, they will be best attained when all persons alike share in the government to the utmost. aristotle



this is a gentle reminder that tuesday, november 6th, is election day here in the U.S. while it's not a Presidential election, i'm sure there are some very important issues on your local and state ballots.

the responsibility and the seriousness of voting was instilled in me very early on. when i was a child, i always felt very important when my parents took me to the polls with them. now that i am *not* a child, i have come to appreciate my own right to participate in the process of government. they might not give my my "i voted" sticker again this year, but i'll be sure to spt that i was there!

(did i just make *spt* a verb?!?)

10 comments:

Amanda :-) said...

Well, I didn't know that! I will keep my eye on the news.

I have a Christian friend who refuses to vote because she believes that God will decide our future, not our votes. I have to say I disagree. Particularly because women suffered and some died in order to secure our right to vote. I feel I owe it to those suffragettes to use my vote, always.

Women were not allowed to vote equally to men, here in the UK, until 1928.

Enjoy your 'polling station stroll'!

Is that a US traditon too? It's quite a British tradition to WALK to your polling station to cast your vote. Haven't a clue where that tradition sprang from!

Sandi said...

I voted early by mail. It's the only way to go.

carlo said...

i LOVE to go to the polls. it gives me such a sense of pride and community and duty and as amanda said, to honor the women who fought for us to be able to vote!

hmmmm, can i conquer my spt in public "fear" for this??? we shall see.

Jill said...

This should be interesting. They usually do give "I voted today" stickers around here. It's all about the stickers, ha.

Becky said...

GREAT spt assignment! I love to vote and I love to be an American :)

Elizabeth said...

Yes, spt should be a verb

Bond Girl 007 said...

what great post...loved amanda's comment

Barb said...

We already had our election day! How did I not take a SPT, just in case???

donna said...

I LOVE to vote!!!!!

everything pink! said...

again you are brilliant and awesome! i do not tell you that enough.